My first throwing project of the summer was a couple of bases and a some bulbs for a second (and third, perhaps) spinning bike wheel piece. I wrote about the bulbs and the first base a while back. At the time I hadn't finished the second base.
|Th second new bike wheel base with sprigged top, attached bulbs, and stamped base texture.|
I'm happier with the second base, mostly because of the sprigged decoration on the top section. I also added a couple bulbs to the sides of the base. The entire base is still perhaps a bit narrow, so I will probably have to weigh it down with some cement in the hollow base so the wide wheel doesn't topple the whole thing over.
|The hole will be where the bike chain goes into the base. the smooth line around the base is the path for the chain after firing.|
The chain path is also a bit more complex than on the previous bases. The chain comes out of the base from behind one of the added bulbs and snakes behind the other as it passes.
|The sprigged texture took time, but I much prefer this texture to something simpler.|
I also got around to learning how to remove the spokes from the wheel rim. I was happy to discover that the end of the spoke, where it gets thicker, is removable. This means I can make the holes in my bulbs fairly small and they will slide on and fit snugly.
|The piece at the end of the spoke unscrews and inserts through the rim from the other side.|
All the pieces are in the kiln now, but I'm waiting to fire them until after the weather cools off a bit. Today's high is supposed to be 105. I don't think I need to add to the heat in my studio.
|Several bulbs drying. The small hole should be large enough to fit on the spoke after firing.|