Saturday, April 20, 2013

Clay events in May

May is full of exciting art events this year, involving my work and the work of my students.



  



DoVA Show:
First up, The Department of Visual Arts Student and Faculty Exhibition, or DoVA Show at Larson Gallery. The show opens Tuesday, May 7 with a reception from 5-7pm. This month we are having work delivered, cataloging it and getting it ready for the exhibition. 



Clay Sale:
A few days after the DoVA show opens, we will be having the semi-annual YVCC Clay sale. The sale features functional and sculptural ceramic work created by myself and my students at the YVCC clay studio. The sale happens during lunch on May 9. We have a lot of work ready now and we plan to have more work fired next week for the show. The sale is open to the public and is held in the Hopf Union Building on the Yakima Valley Community College campus.


We've been trying to get advertising out into the community as well as on campus. The new Humanities Office Assistant, Jill Tominosky, has been a great help creating the advertising for both the sale and the DoVA show.


Proceeds from the clay sale go to fund improvements in the studio. I am using these funds to buy an oxyprobe to help determine oxygen levels in the kiln during firing. I've also make a few other orders for additions to our studio equipment.


Tour of Artists' Homes & Studios:
And finally, on May 18 my studio and home will be opened for the Larson Gallery's Tour of Artists' Homes and Studios. Mine is one of the featured studios this year. Besides my work, I will have YVCC clay students' work at my house as well as paintings by Monica Lemmon and clay work by Yvonne Pepin-Wakefield. 


Tickets for the Tour are available for purchase at Larson Gallery. You can also buy tickets directly from me through May 6. Tickets are $20 for adults, $5 for students. A ticket booklet admits guests to all the homes of artists and collectors on the tour. Work will be for sale that day and the DoVA show will also be open, with donuts and coffee in the morning when the tour begins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about my work or this post