Sunday, February 2, 2020

Bring Tools and Work back into the Studio


The countertop partway through installation

My clay studio remodel is officially done. It's actually been officially done, according to Sean, for more than a week, but my folks visited for a week and we did more exciting things last weekend than cleaning tools and organizing the studio.

the countertop weighted down with books, rocks and cinderblocks while the glue dried

The countertop was the last thing in. We decided to go with flooring strips glued in place and they look great, though Sean is annoyed when I point this out because this was one of the cheapest items in the room. 

My pretty new countertop 

The front edge of the counter top also has a strip of floor panels and this created a new "problem" when he was installing them. The cut edge where the strips met at a right angle was white, which stood out (at least when one paid close attention) against the grey flooring/countertop. The elegant solution was to color the edge with a pencil. It worked great.

the top installed, the bottom in progress 

We also purchase some new "tables" and shelves. So far we have two tables with drawers and two sets of shelves. All are on wheels. The third set of shelves was damaged in shipping, so we're expecting it this week. Its actually good that it didn't shop up yet, because we've crammed stuff into that space temporarily.

the top has been penciled in, the bottom has not

This weekend my husband brought up most of the stuff from where it was stored in the basement. Actually, last week the wheel and wedging table were in place, but Friday when I got home from work he had "reclaimed" his tool space in the basement. As soon as I got home from work, I was, depending on your perspective, required to or able to clean and organize in the clay studio. It was actually what I had wanted to do before I left for work in the morning.

brown/black table in and wheel back in

The first thing I did on Friday was move my clay. I have a number of bags of reclaimed clay, as well as some partial bags of new clay, but some of the bags had ripped or opened and dried during their hiatus in the basement. Those will need to be slaked and recycled.

brush collection drying on my new metal shelves

The next thing I did, with a significant amount of help from my daughter, was clean my brushes. I have a LOT of brushes. For years (ok, a decade), they had been stored in this bizarre carpeted built-in drawers. Everything in the studio had gotten dusty during the remodel, so I not only needed to clean the brushes, but the carpet needed to be sprayed out, too.

ugly, and odd, old brush drawers

The brushes are now carefully organized in a wide, shallow drawer in one of the new tables. I don't actually know if I need the brushes to be organized this well, but it feels kinda good to start this way.

new brush drawer

In this silver table/workbench, I've also got a drawer of epoxy, tape, knives and resist; another for paint; one for sprigs, and another with sketchbooks. I plan to put molds in one and I haven't decided on the others.

metal table/workbench

The wood table had three drawers. This one has one drawer of sculpting tools and it's where my daughter and I have been washing and organizing most of the tools and springs. Both table surfaces have lots of extra stuff on them. The goal in moving stuff back into the studio is to decide whether to keep it. I've thrown away about a box of stuff, but I've also got some items on probation in various locations. They don't get put in drawers until I decide if they really need to be kept.

the cat has discovered the new window viewing location

The studio looks like a total and utter disaster, but it feels good. I've left the extra shelves, the ones I won't be keeping, in the middle of the space to help with planning and organizing. Currently one has stuff that either belongs to my daughter or belongs in a different room, and the other had stuff I can't yet decide about.

scary mess, hiding organization in progress

The metal shelves are the only ones that I'm planning to keep in the studio. They are 24" deep, so significantly deeper than any of the shelves I used to have in the studio. The extra space for storing work in progress will be helpful, but I don't want to end up with random pieces stuffed here.

not all of these will stay--at least not here

The sprigs were excessive. I use a lot of sprigs for the surfaces of my work, but I don't always go back and eliminate ones that didn't work that well. My daughter washed all of them, and I sorted them into containers based on what I was keeping and what I use regularly or not.

sprigs being sorted

When I use the sprigs they usually end up in a little container on the workspace, so I have organized them in the drawer in little removable containers. I also have a large container of sprigs on probation. These are duplicates or ones I don't remember using much. I want to check that they function well and are useful before I put them back into the regular rotation. 

new, clean, organized sprig drawer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about my work or this post