Friday, July 26, 2024

Coiling Big

works in sections drying in my studio

This summer I decided I wanted to build large. I think my stacker pieces from last year that I threw on the wheel were a big part of what I was thinking about when I got back into the studio this summer.

base of the first big coiled piece from this summer

The stacker pieces from last year were a great challenge and I liked making the big pieces, but coiling big is so much easier than throwing. Making these was just enjoyable and relaxing.

second section of the first sculpture in progress

I started with a coil at the outer edge of the widest bat I had and just continued coiling. My original plan was to create a three section tall piece where each section was just short enough to fit in my kiln (each about 25" tall). But I misjudged the angle of the base piece and ended up narrower than planned at the transition to the next section.

second section from the top

The wide base gave me plenty of space for adding my large bell pepper sprigs, and large hole cutter impressions. I've used these sprigs in limited appliations because of their size, but they were a good fit here.

green pepper sprigs

The first sculpture was fun, so I started a second and third at the same time. I was also throwing daily at this point and finishing a human bust to use to display 3D design work. I figured I had plenty of time, because time in the summer is wibby wobbly.

first sculpture drying

For the second piece, I decided to expand the base past the edges of my bat (because I didn't have one that was large enough). This added a bit of a challenge, as I was concerned that the curve at the bottom would tend to sag or split, but it appears to be fine.

based of second sculpture

As this piece got taller, I decided to split it into two sections. At this point, I realized that this was starting to look like a Navajo wedding vase, which wasn't my intention.

second sculpture with split

In an attempt to pull the composition away from the wedding vase form, I added some twist to the base and the next two sections. I was fairly happy with how the twists look, but as I applied the surface texture, the pressure and the added moisture started to cause some weakness near the twists, so I removed them for drying.

second sections of second sculpture with twists

I did give myself a bit of a break in that one of the third piece has holes in it instead of sprigs. My plan is to make elements later to attach to the holes. The advantage of this approach is that I can take my time on them and not have to match the drying of all the elements.

Third sculpture (two sections) in progress

The structure of this piece is pretty simple on the bottom. I had gotten a wider bat for this piece which allowed a wider start with a slow transition into the second level, and then I got silly and started pushing the limits by adding angles that were more complicated than necessary. 

two sections of third sculpture and one of the second, drying

After measuring the connection, I took the top part off. The curve in the second part was too abrupt to hold up the wet clay above it without cracking. Since I always planned to build in sections, I'm hoping the top section will hold after firing.

waiting for firings

I made things even more complicated for myself by putting a deadline on both of these forms. I needed to get these pieces done before leaving on a family trip, but I also needed to get some glazing done. When we get back, I am looking forward to spending some time on some new taller projects without a time constraint.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about my work or this post