Monday, June 17, 2013

Tieton Mini Maker Faire

At the end of the month, on June 29, Tieton will be hosting a Mini Maker Faire in the Mighty Tieton Warehouse.


I am in the process of applying to participate in the Faire. I will be building my "pea pod" sculptures during the Faire and will have several on display to show the end results.


I think the "pea pods" will be a good choice as a demonstration piece because they are relatively quick to make and after they are finished are small, strong and portable.


As I went looking for pictures, I realized I have made quite a few of these pieces over the years. I used to have quite a few wood fired pieces and porcelain forms, but most of these have been sold or given away.


I'd like to make some to be used as part of my wall display for my show next January at Esvelt Gallery, so the Mini Maker Faire seems like a good time to get some done, even if I'm making with an audience.



I can make the forms with limited tools an in a small space. I only need my hands and one or two sticks to make the peas themselves. I don't even need a table for most of the forming, though I usually roll slabs for the pod.


Though I don't always work this way, I believe I will bring underglazes to the Mini Maker Faire so that I can apply them to the leather hard slab and pods. Applying the underglazes early makes it much easier to get even color inside the pods.


The Mini Maker Faire will feature lots of makers, of art and of all other manner of things. I know that one of my clay students, Grace Keller, will be there throwing pottery on her wheel. 


Admission for kids is free, adults cost only $8. The Faire runs from 10-5 on Saturday, June 29 at the Mighty Tieton Warehouse on Wisconsin Ave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think about my work or this post